Friday, July 5, 2013

Strauss : Metamorphosen - Runnicles

It's that man again. A searching performance of Richard Strauss' Metamorphosen for 23 solo strings.

I have gone through periods of detesting this work as self-pitying and periods in which I think I understand. I seem to be in one of the latter at the moment.

The end is especially successful – Runnicles, apparently, in rehearsal urged the players not to let the audience know when the music was over. And it works. The man can get utter commitment from every player, which you need to bring off a work like this.

And now, time to pack for my holidays!

Back in August.


Download from Rapidshare

1 comment:

  1. Imagine some poor violinist, standing to the left of a left-handed conductor like Runnicles! The only thing she/he would be thinking during the performance is how not to get poked in the eye by the baton!

    :)

    ReplyDelete