Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Mihaela Ursuleasa : Mozart and Schumann Concertos

Here is where I come to the end of the little trove of recordings I have by the late Mihaela Ursuleasa. The recordings were assembled mainly through the kindness of others who, like me, had been struck by something truly original and life-affirming in her playing. 

Her performance in the Clara Haskil competition in 1995 produced two splendid concerto recordings - the Mozart Jeunehomme and the Beethoven Emperor. I can only recommend readers to seek them out. An impish, but at the same time utterly serious musician leaps out from the very first notes (and one who appreciates that some of the most profound utterances are also witty!).

The recordings on this blog do not showcase a pianist who was an uncannily fully-formed musician from a precocious age. Quite the reverse: they show, to my mind, a musician who was constantly asking questions, testing ideas, growing and developing. And this, I think, is her legacy: not a distillation of a lifetime of experience, but the energy and rigour with which she asked questions of the music and herself.

As the father of young children, my thoughts go, too, to her little daughter, Stefanie, just seven years old when her mother died.


Mozart : Piano concerto No 20 KV466 
Bucharest, 20 February 2008
Mihaela Ursuleasa, Romanian Radio Chamber Orchestra, Horia Andreescu
Download from Rapidshare


Schumann : Piano Concerto in A minor
Mihaela Ursuleasa, Orquestra Sinfónica de Barcelona i Catalunya (OBC), Hans Graf
Download from Rapidshare

3 comments:

  1. Ronan,

    I have another Ursuleasa concerto recording I ran across on the web a month or so ago that I don't see on your site - a Liszt 1st Concerto from September of 2011 recorded by WDR. As an encore, she again played the Constantinescu Toccata. If you'd like this file, just email me at the address below, and I'll send you the download link. Thanks for all of these posts, especially the Fiorentino.

    Regards,

    J. Mauger
    Raleigh NC
    USA
    sameam64@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was floored by the unexpected loveliness of her performance whe I saw her play in 2006 (March 14?), in Cincinnatti. This was when my father (estonian) and I took a moment together, and decided to go hear Paavo Jarvi and his then-home's forces play in town. They did a Mozart Concerto 20, followed by some magical encores, with a Stravinsky Firebird after intermission. The Chopin berceuse soloist encore was a standout, and I asked to go backstage to the green room afterwards, to meet this performer. She was charming and gracious; I must admit to having gotten an immediate crush right then and there.



    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your really fine blog, where I always find most valuable news, samples, and comments. Ursuleasa was a big surprise to me, since I had not had access to any token of her art.
    Unfortunately I could not enjoy her Schumann because the files seem to be corrupted. Could you please upload them again? Thank you very much and please keep up the good work.
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete