Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Takahiro Sonoda plays the Well Tempered Clavier Book I

I've already posted Sonoda's Book II  and now, dammit, here is book I. The original post has some biographical information.

I love the humour and grace of the photos of Sonoda teaching. These characteristics are in evidence in his playing, too, of course. And you can see that his playing style was formed around his own hands, which are, in his own words, the delicate, maple-leaf-shaped hand of Japanese people.

You can read transcipts of some of his "mini-lectures" by Googling them.

And you can now download his Well Tempered Clavier Book I in mp3 VBR 240k

Download from Rapidshare

3 comments:

  1. Thank you - truly lovely playing. Must admit that I usually get a bit tired of listening to the WTC - but somehow, he leads the ear on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've already thanked you for this, but as the year draws to a close, I realize that Sonoda's WTC has been one of my most-listened to recordings of the year. To use a much over-used but absolutely accurate word, they were 'revelatory' for me. They also have had a miraculous effect on my ability to actually play the Preludes and Fugues myself, something I have always had much trouble with. I think that Sonoda has found the ideal balance between the vertical and horizontal aspects of the music, and listening to him deeply affected the way my fingers and eyes approach the Fugues. Thanks so much and happy (almost) new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. David - how good to hear from you! I am so glad that Sonoda has found at least one more appreciative listener. And player too!

    I have more Sonoda! Stay tuned. And a very happy Christmas to you. Your blog is sadly missed…

    ReplyDelete