Friday, August 12, 2011

Sergio Fiorentino – Chopin Nocturnes Vol 1

I've been asked for Fiorentino's Chopin Nocturnes, which have been not just unavailable but almost impossible to lay hands on for many years.

The good news is that I have volume 2 on CD, and will be uploading it as FLAC. But the bad news is that my only copy of volume 1 is in mp3 at 192kbs. Nonetheless, the pianism is perfectly clear and, come to think of it, it still sounds better than the original gritty SAGA LP that we had at home!

I loved the comment left by one visitor on Fiorentino's Chopin Waltzes – "It's like hearing Liszt playing Chopin". That's very true, but his readings of the nocturnes reveal a far deeper and more insightful relationship with the music. Together with Magaloff's cycle, they are among the most undervalued interpretations I know. I hope that this posting goes some way to bringing them back to general attention.

Download from Rapidshare

7 comments:

  1. Ronan, I am forever in your debt for sharing Fiorentino's Nocturnes. The "Liszt playing Chopin" comment was my own and was based on the many biographies I have read and the contemporay comments on Liszt's playing. However, with this volume, I am reminded of Heine's famous comment on Chopin: "The Raphael of the Piano". Thank you in eager anticipation of Vol.2,
    kind regards
    Gerard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I finally understand Chopin's intended use of Tempo Rubato... Fiorentino's playing of the Nocturnes is an insight into the mind and soul of a genius. I am truly overwhelmed.
    Thank you again,
    Gerard

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Vol. 1 in flac. Actually BOTH Cd's are in the same link EMERGO CLASSICS... Are these echt?

    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PF2N03AP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this great pianist recordings! This is one of the deeper interpretation of nocturnes Op. 55!
    Paolo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, of course I meant "one deep interpretation". I should have post this on your "Nocturnes 2"...
    Thank you again!
    Paolo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do we know the dates of these at all?

    Thanks so much for these; I have just discovered SF and am already enthralled.

    BTW La Danse de Puck: that megaupload link is of course dead (bereft of life, it's pushing up the daisies).

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Superb offering. Thank you for revealing to me these wonderful performances.

    ReplyDelete