Friday, February 11, 2011

Ina Boyle : The Magic Harp (1920)

Ina Boyle again!

I was delighted to attend the concert in the Hugh Lane Gallery at which her string quartet was performed for the first time since the 1930s. It bears the imprint of her studies with Vaughan Williams, but a distinct personality, introspective and lyrical, familiar from the violin concerto, still emerges.

Here's another performance I have managed to track down. A rather basic radio recording, I'm afraid, but this is the piece included in the Carnegie Collection of British Music – the only piece by a woman composer to be included. It's a fine piece of writing, and of orchestration. She has a real ear for colour, if I can say that…

The Ulster Orchestra is conducted by Prionnsías O'Duinn.


Download from Rapidshare

2 comments:

  1. hi nice blog,i like it! i want to make link exchange whith my blog http://www.clasicsound.com/
    if u like my blog let me know have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Boyle posts. Both are pleasant surprises.

    ReplyDelete