Friday, February 12, 2010

Fauré : Piano Quintet No 2 - Quatuor Belcea, Bertrand Chamayou

The french pianist Bertrand Chamayou has yet to make an enormous splash, but on the basis of his Mendelssohn CD and an almost-all Mendelssohn recital at La Roque d'Anthéron, it's only a matter of time. And France Musique came up trumps in this recording, made in 2007, of Chamayou and the Quatuor Belcea playing Fauré's autumnal masterpiece.

I have owned a score of this for decades, always hoping that I'll get to play it. (I also own the Schnittke – hope springs eternal!). There is something about the way the strings weave in and out that has the austere sensuality of renaissance counterpoint. Listen, do, to the closing pages of the first movement, as the motoric semiquavers from the piano accompany a seemingly unstoppable flow of counterpoint, wave upon wave, right up to the final exultant chords. Is it any wonder I am determined to play this before I die?

In memory of Debbie Metrustry, with whom I sang for many, many years, who died suddenly this morning.

mp3, 128 kbs in surprisingly good sound, from France Musique.

Download from Rapidshare

1 comment:

  1. A great service to the public, and a beautiful perfomance of this chamber music. Now I feel comfortable ordering the quintet sheet music and buying a CD. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete