Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Tipo, not Michelangeli, in a legendary Beethoven 4th concerto


This recording was long thought to be by the legendary Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli. I came across it because a colleague who is a Michelangeli obsessive was searching for it and enlisted my help, and I, of course, put out feelers across that vast web that connects pianists and pianophiles everywhere...

And it isn't Michelangeli – recent research has identified the pianist as Maria Tipo - a pianist whom Marta Argerich rated as one of the world's best pianists.

I was prompted to dig this recording out by The High Pony Tail's posting of a wonderful recital of Scarlatti by Maria Tipo. When you've finished here, head over there and download it.

Here, then, is my contribution to Tipo Day: the legendary, almost mythical Beethoven 4. Sound is, well, a bit Soviet, but they got the microphones close to the piano, which emerges well – it's the poor orchestra that sounds a bit like they are playing out on the theatre stepsl


Beethoven Piano Concerto no 4 op 58
Belgrade Philharmonic Orchestra/Zivojin Zdravkovic
Maria Tipo, Piano

Download from Rapidshare

4 comments:

  1. I was unaware of the controversy regarding this performance, but am very much looking forward to hearing Ms. Tipo in the concerto. The LVB concertos are, unfortunately, something I am almost entirely burnt out on, but this might do the trick (I am NOT burnt out on the Triple Concerto, however, and was just about to DL Patricia Kopatchinskja in both that and the violin concerto when you distracted me with this Tipo for Two thing!)

    I have now listened to Sokolov playing Couperin and Rameau, something which I never would have dreamed of hearing from him (could it actually be ABM?) --- and it's great. Since he has stopped making recordings, I rely on the kindness of bloggers such as yourself to keep up with his hugely expanded repertoire.

    I also managed to find time to listen to the Brahms/Rihm/Dessay German Requiem which was marvelous (I have somehow become surrounded by Brahms-haters, and what they hate more than anything else is the Requiem. Brahms has a very secure postition on my 10-greatest classical composers list --- I can understand the Requiem might not be for everyone, but to dismiss Brahms in toto? I can only let B. Britten get away with that!) Anyway, Dessay is wonderful, the orchestra is nicely 'crunchy' --- as opposed to blandly heavenly --- and the interwoven Rihm piece not only 'worked', it has the effect of extending the length of the Requiem past even Celibidache and Tennstedt's lengths --- something which is fine with me, as I always wish it would go on for days, and usually have to tack on the Schicksalslied and Alto Rhapsody to get the effect I'm looking for.

    I must complement you also on the consistently great sound quality on the contemporary offerings (the Shostakovich, understandably, is another matter and the historical importance certainly outweighs the fidelity issue.)

    Thanks again --- I haven't even had my coffee yet and I'm raving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to work hard to match your appetite! Have you listened to the Greif cello concerto?

    It's funny - I started playing the Beethoven concertos again this year. I've even decided to get a better score of the first, which I have in an old Schirmer edition that's falling apart. I'm starting to think of working on it in a vague way.

    The work I cannot listen to, and I have tried, was our first LP - Beethoven's fifth. It's just nothing like as good as the Eroica...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    thank you for all these wonderful recordings... one problem: i can't get this one to play... any advice?
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What are you trying to play it on? It's an ordinary mp3 file, but perhaps the file name is choking your computer - I work on a Mac, which doesn't mind long names and pather.

    What, specifically, is wrong?

    ReplyDelete