Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Shostakovich : Symphony No 14 - and Blok Romances première


Shostakovich
Symphony No 14 Op 135
Galina Vishnevskya, Mark Reshetin
Chamber Orchestra of Moscow, Mstislav Rostropovich
Recorded 12 Feb 1973

Seven Romances on Poems of Alexander Blok Op 127
Galina Vishnevskaya, David Oistrakh,
Mstislav Rostropovich, Moisei Vainberg
Recorded 27 October 1967 at the premiere

The première of the14th symphony was cancelled by the authorities at the last minute. However, someone had tipped off the orchestra, who gave a public 'dress rehearsal' the night before the scheduled première. The young bass Mark Reshetin sang, as he does in this recording of the 'official' première. Shostakovich had, of course, wanted Nestorenko, but he - and any other likely singer - was officially 'booked for another engagement'. Shows how nervous the authorities were.

And they had every reason to be. Shostakovich spoke briefly at the public dress rehearsal, and said that the symphony was a tribute to the people of the USSR, who had endured so much that was, he said, disgusting.



The bonus is another star-studded première: the Blok romances, played by the A team.

Ripped from an out of print Russian Revelation CD

Download from Rapidshare

2 comments:

  1. RonanM: Did you ever tell me you were running this great blog? I hope its OK with you --- I immediately provided a link to this great recording in my Shostakovich post and added you to my "bloglist".

    There's enough here to keep me busy for days, only where to start --- Sokolov or Rameau? Thanks again. (Were you the originator of the Youri Egorov request, by the way? If so, there is more more installment coming before the week's end.)

    Thanks again for the Shostakovich --- I especially can't wait to hear the 'original' ending (it's hard to imagine one that tops the one I'm familiar with.) Have you heard the Benjamin Britten English premiere (I believe it's the premiere) of the Fourteenth on BBC Legends? What do you think of it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard the Britten - must go hunt for it. And yes, I was the person who wanted Egorov, and more Egorov if you have it!

    I have more Sokolv too, if you are interested - I have a colleague who is slightly less than sane on the subject who collects radio recordings of him.

    ReplyDelete