Thursday, October 15, 2009

András Schiff - a whole Haydn recital


Digital satellite recording from German radio, 320kbs

Schiff does Haydn proud. The programme includes old favourites such as the world-weary F minor variations, which Haydn playfully entitled Un piccolo divertimento and the well-known E-flat sonata, but also some works which really deserve more exposure – the G minor sonata, for instance.


I am grateful to a German colleague for making the original mp2 available to me,
which I have converted and edited.

Programme
Capriccio on "Acht Sauschneider müssen sein" G-dur Hob. XVII Nr. 1
Sonate g-moll Hob. XVI Nr. 44
Fantasie C-dur Hob. XVII Nr. 4
Sonate e-moll Hob. XVI Nr. 34
Variationen f-moll Hob. XVII Nr. 6 "Un piccolo divertimento"
Sonate Es-dur Hob. XVI Nr. 52
Mendelssohn : Zwei Lieder ohne Worte - Op 19/1 in E dur, Op 67/4 in C dur
Mozart : Adagio für Glasharmonika C-Dur, KV 356

András Schiff
Schwetzinger Festspiele June 7, 2009

Mp3, 320kbs

http://rapidshare.com/files/292954580/Schiff_Haydn.zip

4 comments:

  1. OK, I've already found a must-have here --- I can't wait to hear Schiff's recent Haydn, as his playing has become so much more interesting since he made his commercial recording of Haydn sonatas. Thanks again and please explain to me how I missed your blog before ---

    ReplyDelete
  2. You missed the blog because it's a sort of desultory affair really, and there's a lot out there.

    Tell me how you like Schiff's piano (kein Schiffenklavier!) - I feel that he exploits its possibilities wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this very much --- I hope Schiff plans to re-tackled Haydn for ECM next, and to keep adding lesser-known sonatas and variations --- as I am a rather poor pianist, Haydn (and Schubert) are favorite composers of mine for more than purely musical reasons: both of them wrote piano music that is both within the reach of my limited technique AND is a never-ending source of musical invention. And both composer's early and/or lesser-played works are as fascinating as the 'late' sonatas. And what piece can a average player play for his own satisfaction that is as deep and haunting as the f minor variations?

    As for the piano --- the sound is fine to my ears, but I am very tolerant of all but Paul Badura-Skoda's crumbling collection of pianofortes --- for instance, I have derived endless pleasure from Jos van Immerseel's fairly-recent Mozart concertos set. What sort of klavier is Schiff playing here exactly? (I also liked the piano he used on his Decca Schubert recording, a rather timid Bösendorfer, as I recall ...

    I suppose I should put this other thank-you in the correct place, but, since I'm logged-in here and commenting already --- I've lived with the German Requiem with Dessay and Rihm for a couple of weeks now and my initial enthusiasm has not waned. The habit of 'interpolating' later works with earlier works as a kind of commentary seldom works, but, as you said, it does here, somehow --- and I'm not normally a big fan of Rihm, although I can't claim to have heard even 1/16th of his enormous output. Thanks again --- I'll try to overcome my Uchida bias and listen to her Beethoven soon ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for this, looking forward to hearing it. link still works fine. -cheers, alfred venison.

    ReplyDelete